Lifehack: Google Now (Voice Actions) to Astrid grocery list.
Figured out a process to quickly add items to my grocery list on Astrid using Google Now. That way I can press the microphone button on my phone and quickly set a reminder for later when I’m in the store.
I first tried using an IFTTT recipe to email new tasks to Astrid but regular expressions aren’t supported and there just wasn’t enough control.
The process ended up being a bit convoluted, at least in the background:
- When you say “note to self” in the mic it emails your Gmail account.
- Gmail filters for those emails and forwards to a procmail server.
- Procmail pipes the email to a Python script.
- Python extracts the grocery list items and sends a message to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Astrid interprets the email and creates a task.
Gmail filters and forwards can be setup in your email settings but the procmail and python bits depend on you having a server to run the stuff on and a benevolent sysadmin (thanks, Keenan).
The end result is I can say “note to self we need bacon, lettuce, tomato” and in a moment or two my grocery list on Astrid has bacon, lettuce, and tomato as three new tasks.